I was snapping photos while gabbing away, trying to identify things from the air - orienting what was within my sight with the map I've looked at so many times in the past month. My first reflections were on the the buildings, both the quantity and height, then the compactness of the island, Manhattan is such an important place yet it is only 23 square miles. We came in from the north so after the awe of the skyscrapers, I spotted lady liberty on her tiny island just next to Ellis. She is dwarfed in stature when compared to the skyscrapers on the land just across the water from her. The third thing I really noticed about the city was the stau (German for traffic jam). Bumper to bumper, a constant stream of unmoving lights tracing lines across the bridges and and in the cities on both sides of the water. After landing we would get a closer look during our 2 hour, 31 mile journey from Newark airport to our hotel in midtown NYC.
During the longer than expected, but fairly reasonable priced taxi ride to our hotel, the time difference had a chance to hit us and we decided we were exhausted. I tossed my original plan of spending a late night out on the town for a more modest steak and a martini followed by a small stroll near Times Square, Broadway, and Rockefeller Center.
We turned in at a reasonable hour Friday and then woke up earlier than expected the next morning (gotta love jetlag!) so we decided to meet our friends for the first Circle Line harbor cruise of the day. This three hour tour goes around the entire island giving a water side view of each city and borough that touches the waters edge along the Hudson, the East, and Harlem Rivers, including a jaunt further south to get a closer view of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.
After the tour we decided to head to lunch at a restaurant that might be able to compete with my love of chicken and waffles called 'Burgers and Cupcakes'. Their double thick bacon was more like a half inch slice of pork belly, fried crisp and amazing. It was an affordable meal that definitely did not disappoint.
Later in the evening, after we parted ways with our other friends, the three of us headed off on foot to explore some of the interior sights of midtown by foot. We went to the New York Library, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station before heading back to the hotel by way of Madison avenue. I had a strange curiosity about it courtesy of my love of Mad Men but I'm not sure it gave me a clearer picture of the area as it may be the same place but the environment has changed since the 60s setting of the show.
We headed back to the hotel after an exhausting day and had just enough time to take a quick shower when one of our other friends in the city managed to finally catch up with us after an afternoon of missed connections. What should have been the end of the day if we were sane humans, was the beginning of a third exciting part of our day. We took a taxi to the East Village and headed off on foot to find a good meal and pint to catch up with a friend we haven't seen in nearly 4 years.
We first tried for a pint and wings but found a packed bar and a $10 cover charge to watch the UFC fight. It was so loud in there, we couldn't even manage to get off a drink order before giving up and heading off for someplace more conductive to conversation. We wandered for a bit, taking in a completely different part of the city. The restaurants, bars, shops, and people of this neighborhood were justa as fascinating in a completely different way than the hustle and touristy bustle of Broadway, or the more business feel of midtown near the library. It reminded me a bit of my college days in Tempe and for the first time since arriving, I could imagine NY as a place that people could actually enjoy living.
In our over half hour walk in the drizzly rain a few hundred either occupied or off duty taxis rushed past us in the opposite direction. We found 5 taxis with their lights on but it seems that wherever you happen to be waving your arm in the street, there is someone else at least 10 feet ahead of you who manages to catch the ride. At the time I was exhausted and cold but even before we made it back to the hotel I was amused to have had the experience of attempting to hail a taxi on a busy, rainy, Saturday night in New York City.
________________________________
* HONY - Humans of New York
I have been following this photographer over Facebook for the past month or so and it has change the way I look at portrait photography. Amusingly enough, after so many faces witnessed and stories read, as I walk down the streets of NY, the people have more depth for me, I can imagine their stories, and I'm curious about strangers as I never have been before.
http://www.humansofnewyork.com/
Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises
http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/cruise-details.aspx?id=1

That sounds like a very cool experience. (Well, all of it, lol.) When you talked about the business district, I imagined the scenes from "Mad Men." From what I've read/heard, "the Village" is kind of a hub of artsy-ness, full of music, art, and general creative folk. (In another "Mad Men" reference, I think that's where Don's artist girlfriend in Season 1 lived...and where Peggy went to a party of activists & artists in Season 4.) Also: Burgers & Cupcakes?!? Yum!
ReplyDeleteI, too, had the out-of-towner thrill of learning that rain means no taxi will stop. I ended walking 10 blocks in a drenching downpour, sans umbrella, back to my hotel. Glad you got to have such a full-on NYC visit.
ReplyDelete